How to Find and What USA Made Solid Wood Furniture to Buy
In a world where trends fade faster than yesterday’s news, the allure of real wood furniture made in USA stands strong. It’s more than just furniture – it’s a piece of authentic craftsmanship that brings a touch of character and warmth to your space.
Ready to ditch the disposable? This guide to discovering the world of real wood furniture and how to find the right pieces that fit your style.
And naturally, these tips encompass the essence of Joanna Gaines’ design style.
Just a friendly reminder: I’m a DIY enthusiast, not a pro. I’m sharing my experiences with you here, but this information is no substitute for consulting a professional.
And about those affiliate links, all opinions and recommendations are genuinely mine, but I have to tell you that I earn a small commission when you purchase using my link.
Thank you, because this helps financially support this blog!
Tips for Buying Antique Wood Furniture for Sale
The secret to buying American-made antique wood furniture on a budget is secondhand shopping. It’s absolutely mind-blowing the amount of pre-owned pieces you can find at a fraction of the cost of buying new ones.
My go-to places for real wood furniture are estate sales, garage or barn sales, thrift stores like ReSource, and Facebook Marketplaces.
Here are my tips finding wooden antique furniture:
One key aspect when shopping secondhand is a thorough inspection. Take the time to examine each piece you come across closely. Look for problematic wear and tear signs, such as loose joints, large gauges, or missing parts.
While minor imperfections tell a story, it’s important to gauge whether major issues are worth the effort and investment.
Get to know the names of furniture brands so that when you stumble upon something, you’ll know if it’s a hidden gem or junk. Often, wood antique furniture has special labels, stamps, or markings inside a drawer or on the bottom, indicating brand authenticity and origin.
Knowing specific brand names is also helpful when searching online since sometimes antique items are listed using this information.
Don’t be put off by a slightly funny odor. Antique wood furniture has a distinct scent; this is just part of the deal.
However, unpleasant odors like smoke or pet urine are not, and I try to avoid this when possible. They’re also incredibly hard to eliminate.
Purchasing antique furniture with a lingering scent of cigarettes certainly isn’t my first choice. But there are a couple of exceptions that might sway my decision.
Like an exceptional deal, such as a price tag close to being free.
Or if the piece in question holds an extraordinary rarity or is something I’ve been seeking, leaving no other viable option.
Patience is a virtue when shopping secondhand. Finding the perfect piece that aligns with your vision might take time. It could be the wood tone, dimensions, or the slightest detail, like spindle size.
Whatever it is, it’s always worth waiting for the one. Embrace the process and enjoy the thrill of the hunt.
Negotiation is an option when dealing with secondhand sellers. Feel free to make a reasonable offer to see if they’ll take it.
Think creatively and look for the hidden potential in pieces. Do-it-yourself (DIY) refinishing projects are a really great way to salvage something that’s seen better days.
The great thing about working with genuine solid wood furniture is how easy it is to work with. New stains, a fresh coat of paint, or updated hardware can totally transform a piece.
>> Learn the best way to achieve stunning furniture transformations without needing sandpaper, power tools, or that messy stripper. In this blog post, I’m sharing how to restore wood furniture without sanding or stripping.
Hardwood Furniture that Creates an Inviting Home
Using USA-made real wood furniture that stands the test of time plays a pivotal role in a Joanna Gaines-inspired home design by infusing a sense of warmth and hospitality.
Imagine gathering around a solid wood dining table for family meals or a hand-finished wooden bookshelf that invites you to display all your favorite books and decor.
Hardwood furniture is a great option for items you want to have for a long time. These pieces will help you incorporate the essence of Joanna’s style and create a home that radiates comfort and togetherness.
From the natural elegance of real wood to the craftsmanship that speaks volumes, these pieces are more than just furniture – they’re a testament to the art of creating a home that nurtures the soul.
To capture the essence of Joanna Gaines’ Fixer Upper style with United States made real wood furniture, consider incorporating the following essential pieces into your home decor:
Farmhouse Dining Table
Gathering with loved ones around a table is a timeless tradition that brings people together for shared meals, laughter, and meaningful conversations.
This simple act of sitting down to eat and connect has a profound impact on our lives, creating memories and fostering a sense of belonging.
Choosing the right table is where it all begins. A sturdy farmhouse-style dining table crafted from real wood is a centerpiece of the Fixer Upper aesthetic and becomes a place where generations come together, and memories are made.
Listen, I know finding time for family meals is a struggle. Finding that extra time between juggling sports practices, work commitments, and the chaos of life.
But, I’ve actually seen the amazing difference it makes with my kids when I make it a point to prioritize these moments and get everyone around the table.
Yeah, they give me a hard time about it at first. But over time, they start pushing back less and the fun and time we spend together become way more important than any of their initial grumbling.
In a world that’s always pulling us in different directions, making time for each other every day becomes a powerful affirmation of the importance of family bonds.
When you choose that real wood table, you’re taking the first step in creating these lasting traditions. It’s more than a place to eat; it’s a vessel for memories, stories, and starting a legacy that will carry on for generations to come.
>> Want more on how to pull off a Joanna Gaines Fixer Upper Style home? Learn how to seamlessly blend farmhouse charm, modern elements, and neutral colors like Jo right here in this Ultimate Guide to Design a Joanna Gaines Fixer Upper Style Home.
I’m totally obsessed with a Windsor style bench and currently stalking Marketplace to find the perfect one for my dining set. This versatile piece seamlessly marries charm and functionality.
Inspired by classic design elements, this bench has timeless distinctive features including spindle backrests, gently curved arms, and sturdy, turned legs.
Designed with comfort in mind, the Windsor bench invites you to take a seat and savor the simple pleasures of life. Imagine setting the scene in your cozy dining room.
Surround your farmhouse-style table with a Windsor bench to create an inviting and communal ambiance. The elegant spindle design adds character and visual interest, making every meal feel like a cherished gathering.
In the entryway, the Windsor wood bench welcomes. It’s a convenient spot to sit down and take off your shoes, while also adding a touch of style and character to the space. Add a couple of throw pillows for a pop of color and extra comfort.
You can also consider placing it in your bedroom as an accent piece at the foot of your bed. It not only adds a dash of sophistication but also serves as a practical perch for putting on shoes or laying out clothes.
Wooden Coffee Tables
When it comes to selecting a coffee table that seamlessly merges functionality with the stylish sensibilities of Joanna Gaines’ designs, a few key design elements stand out. Think about a table that not only serves as a practical surface for daily use but also adds a touch of charm to your living space.
Consider opting for a coffee table with clean lines and a timeless silhouette. Incorporate elements like tapered legs or turned details, which can add a touch of character without overwhelming the design.
These subtle yet distinctive features gives the table personality, giving it that signature Fixer Upper vibe.
Additionally, the choice of wood grain and finish plays a significant role in achieving a harmonious look. Select a finish that enhances the wood’s texture while offering durability against daily wear.
Keep reading to discover the best types of wood for real wood furniture later in this post!
Functionality is paramount, so look for practical features like drawers or a lower shelf for extra storage. A coffee table with hidden storage can help keep the space clutter-free and organized.
Wooden Dining Room Hutch
Dining room hutches often have a bad rap due to their outdated look and finishes. However, their somewhat old-fashioned vibe offers a distinct advantage – they’re remarkably easy to find at really affordable prices. Don’t be deterred by their initial look – refinishing these hutches is a easy and will transform these passé pieces into one-of-a-kind statements..
Refinishing is where the magic happens. With a bit of creativity, effort, and a few supplies, you can breathe new life into your hutch. A fresh coat of paint or stain, updated hardware, and some personal touches can turn it into a true work of art. The result is more than furniture – it’s a conversation starter and a testament to your ability to transform the old into something remarkable.
So, dining room hutches aren’t outdated; they’re opportunities for creativity. They’re a way to bring your style into your space and embrace a new story. By combining affordability, sustainability, and restoration, you’re not just buying furniture – you’re adding to your home’s story.
When it comes to choosing a wooden bookshelf that marries functionality with timeless style, several key design elements come into play. Consider a bookshelf that not only serves as a practical storage solution but also adds an element of aesthetic charm to your living space.
Opt for a bookshelf with clean lines and a minimalist silhouette. Something with edges that are sleek and free from excessive detailing. This design approach allows the natural beauty of the wood to shine through while also making a statement through its understated elegance.
The choice of wood type plays a significant role in achieving the desired look. Consider woods like oak, maple, or pine, which align well with both the rustic and refined aspects of Joanna Gaines design style. Each of these woods carries its own unique grain pattern, adding a layer of visual interest to the bookshelf’s appearance.
Functionality remains a key consideration. Look for adjustable shelves that allow you to customize the bookshelf to accommodate various book sizes and decor. Additionally, explore bookshelves with integrated drawers or cabinets for hidden storage.
Wooden Bedroom Furniture
When it comes real wood bedroom furniture inspired by Fixer Upper, there are several design elements that capture that blend of comfort, rustic charm, and timeless elegance.
One option is a bed. Look for a wooden bed frame that features clean lines, a natural finish, and possibly some subtle decorative detailing.
Consider a bed with a prominent headboard that showcases the beauty of the wood grain while adding a touch of visual interest. Distressed or weathered finishes can evoke that rustic farmhouse feel that Joanna Gaines is known for.
Another option is bedroom storage. Opt for wooden dressers and nightstands that carry forward the same clean lines and understated design.
Drawers with simple knobs or pulls maintain the minimalist look while providing functional storage. Look for pieces with a blend of open shelves and closed compartments, allowing you to showcase your favorite decor items while keeping essentials tucked away.
Mirrors are a key component in bedroom design. Select a wooden-framed mirror that complements the other furniture pieces.
A mirror with a reclaimed wood frame or a distressed finish can infuse the space with that sought-after rustic charm. Hang it above a dresser or on a wall to enhance the room’s visual appeal and create a sense of depth.
Remember, recreating Joanna Gaines’ style in your bedroom with wooden furniture doesn’t mean everything has to be matchy-matchy. It’s about capturing that cozy, harmonious vibe that blends together effortlessly.
Mix and match salvaged, new, or refurbished wooden pieces to create a space that feels lived-in, yet beautifully curated.
Incorporating a real wood mantel into your living space is the perfect way to infuse the warm, inviting qualities of wood while adding a touch of character and charm. A wood mantel not only complements your fireplace but also serves as a canvas for showcasing your personal style and decor.
Wood brings a natural element that can soften and balance the overall aesthetics of your living room. It introduces a sense of warmth and authenticity that synthetic materials often struggle to replicate.
With a real wood mantel, you’re not just adding another piece of furniture; you’re inviting nature’s beauty and history into your home.
Rustic Wooden Chairs
Real wood chairs are more than just pieces of furniture; they’re functional works of art that bring a natural, authentic charm to any space. Crafted from solid wood, these chairs stand out for their durability, timeless appeal, and ability to effortlessly create a modern farmhouse vibe.
The beauty of real wood chairs lies in the intricate details of their craftsmanship. Each chair tells a story through its grain patterns, texture, and unique character.
From classic ladder-back styles to sleek and contemporary silhouettes, real wood chairs come in an array of designs to suit your taste.
These chairs are not just for show; they’re built to withstand the test of time. Whether as dining chairs, accent chairs, or wooden bar stools, they provide comfort and support, supporting your daily activities while adding an element of timeless elegance.
A home office is another great place to incorporate real wood furniture into your home. The authenticity and character that real wood brings add a layer of comfort and inspiration to your work routine.
When it comes to desks, real wood offers a sturdy and durable surface that can withstand the demands of daily work. Whether you’re seeking a classic writing desk, a minimalist workspace, or a spacious executive desk, there’s a wide range of designs to suit your needs.
The intricate grain patterns and unique textures of real wood add character to your workspace, making it a place that’s not just about productivity, but also about aesthetic pleasure.
Office chairs made from real wood are both functional and stylish. From classic swivel chairs to minimalist task chairs, these pieces contribute to a comfortable and visually pleasing work environment.
Storage solutions are equally crucial in an office setting. Wooden filing cabinets not only keep your workspace organized but also enhance the room’s overall aesthetics. The timeless appeal of wood effortlessly elevates the functionality of these pieces, making them a beautiful addition to your office.
Best Types of Wood for Furniture
The choice of wood for furniture depends on factors such as durability, aesthetics, and how you intended to use it. Here are some of the best types of wood commonly used for furniture-making:
- White Oak: Oak is a popular choice due to its durability and versatility.
- Maple: Maple is known for its strength and smooth, even texture. It is commonly used in various interior design styles, including traditional, transitional, Scandinavian, and contemporary due to its adaptable nature and attractive grain patterns.
- Birch: Birch wood has a light color and subtle grain pattern. It’s often used as a more affordable alternative to maple and is suitable for contemporary and casual styles.
- Cherry: Cherry wood develops a rich, reddish-brown color over time due to exposure to light. It has a smooth grain and is prized for its elegant look. Cherry is often used for traditional and formal furniture pieces.
- Walnut: Walnut features a deep, dark color with a rich grain pattern. It’s valued for its natural beauty and is often used in mid-century modern and contemporary designs.
- Mahogany: Mahogany is a classic wood choice known for its reddish-brown color and fine grain. It has a luxurious look and is commonly used in traditional and antique-style furniture.
- Teak: Teak is highly valued for its resistance to moisture, making it ideal for outdoor furniture. It has a warm, golden color and develops a silvery patina over time when exposed to the elements.
- Ash: Ash is known for its pale color and straight grain. It’s relatively strong and lightweight, making it suitable for furniture pieces that require shaping and bending.
- Pine: Pine wood is characterized by its light color and distinctive knots. It’s often used in rustic and country-style furniture. Pine takes stains and finishes well. It is generally considered one of the most affordable types of wood used in furniture and construction due to its widespread availability and relatively quick growth rate.
- Poplar: Poplar is a versatile and cost-effective wood. While it’s not as strong as some hardwoods, it’s still durable enough for many furniture applications. Keep in mind that poplar’s pale color can sometimes result in uneven staining, so it’s usually preferred for painted or stained projects.
- Fir: Fir is another softwood that’s occasionally used for furniture, particularly in rustic or informal settings. It’s durable and has a distinctive grain pattern that adds character to pieces. Fir is often used in construction, but its rustic charm can lend itself well to certain furniture styles.
- Cedar: Cedar is known for its natural resistance to insects and decay. It has a distinct aroma and is often used for outdoor furniture, as well as storage chests and closets.
When it comes to staining wood, hardwoods like oak, maple, cherry, and walnut are often preferred due to their even grain patterns and ability to absorb stain evenly, resulting in a rich and vibrant finish.
Softer woods like pine, poplar, and fir are often chosen for painting wood due to their smooth surfaces and ease of accepting paint, allowing for a consistent and polished finish.
Why Buy American Made Wood Furniture
When it comes to furnishing your space, the quality of the pieces matters as much as the style. It’s getting harder and harder to find USA-made real wood furniture, so there is something really special about finding pieces that are made by American workers.
When you buy USA made furniture, you’re supporting local businesses and getting far better craftsmanship. The heirloom quality can hold up way longer.
American manufacturers follow strict standards, so you’re getting pieces that are heirloom quality and can hold up way longer.
Each piece is meticulously handcrafted, exuding a sense of authenticity and attention to detail that Joanna Gaines style is all about.
Choosing American-made furniture is like making a stylish, sustainable, and community-focused choice all rolled into one.
25 Best American-Made Furniture Companies that Make Real Wood Furniture
When you’re on the hunt for genuine American-made pieces, you have to consider a few things. One major factor is the choice of wood used and the intricate process of crafting.
Keep in mind that these pieces, proudly made in the USA by skilled artisans, usually come with a heftier price tag compared to alternatives produced outside the USA using cheaper materials.
High-quality materials and the highest quality furniture are the hallmarks of these American creations.
- Magnolia Home: Joanna Gaines’ own furniture line, produced in North Carolina in collaboration with Standard Furniture, offers a variety of real wood pieces that embody her signature style.
- Kincaid Furniture: This company is known for its solid wood furniture, often featuring classic and farmhouse-inspired designs.
- Ethan Allen: A well-established furniture company offering a wide range of solid wood furniture pieces with a focus on traditional and transitional styles.
- Stickley: Known for its craftsmanship and commitment to quality, Stickley creates mission-style and other classic wooden furniture.
- Copeland Furniture: Renowned for its modern and sustainable designs, Copeland Furniture produces real wood pieces that combine functionality with aesthetic appeal. Another cool fact is they are right here in my home state of Vermont!
- Room & Board: Room & Board offers USA-made wood furniture pieces with clean lines and a modern farmhouse vibe.
- Saloom Furniture: If you’re looking for dining furniture, Saloom Furniture is known for its handmade, solid wood dining tables, chairs, and other pieces.
- Harden Furniture: Harden specializes in crafting solid wood furniture in the United States, often with a traditional and timeless aesthetic.
- Vermont Woods Studios: This company specializes in eco-friendly, handcrafted wood furniture, often made from sustainably harvested hardwoods.
- Hekman Furniture: Hekman offers a variety of real wood furniture, from classic to contemporary, including bedroom, living room, and dining room pieces.
- Room & Board: While not exclusively rustic, Room & Board offers a variety of real wood furniture pieces with clean lines and a modern farmhouse vibe.
- Bassett Furniture: Bassett offers a mix of wood furniture styles, some of which can align with the rustic and farmhouse aesthetic.
- Simply Amish: As the name suggests, this company produces Amish-crafted furniture, known for its quality, traditional craftsmanship, and more affordable prices.
- Restoration Hardware: While more upscale, Restoration Hardware offers a range of real wood furniture pieces with a mix of rustic and modern influences. Only a portion of their pieces are made in the USA.
- L.L. Bean Home: While primarily known for outdoor gear, L.L. Bean also offers a selection of real wood indoor furniture pieces.
- Gatehouse Furniture: This company specializes in handmade farmhouse furniture with a rustic charm.
- Sauder Woodworking: Sauder produces a wide range of wood furniture, including pieces with a farmhouse-inspired look.
- Etsy Shops: Etsy is an online platform that hosts a wide range of individual sellers, including artisans and craftspeople who create custom and handmade furniture. Many of these shops offer unique, rustic, and farmhouse-inspired pieces that can embody Joanna Gaines’ style. These pieces often feature distressed finishes, reclaimed wood, and a blend of modern and vintage elements.
- Vaughan-Bassett Furniture Company: A well-established American furniture company known for producing solid wood furniture. They specialize in bedroom furniture and have a reputation for using sustainable practices.
- LMCO: American made real wood furniture deigned by Ben and Erin Napier and produced by Vaugh-Bassett Furniture. They’ve partnered to create a cottage-inspired furniture line crafted by 600 American workers.
- Chilton Furniture: Chilton Furniture is known for creating handcrafted, real wood furniture in Maine, USA. Their designs often emphasize clean lines, simple forms, and high-quality craftsmanship.
- Maiden Home: Maiden Home offers customizable furniture made in the USA, with a focus on quality materials and craftsmanship. Their designs often have a modern and sophisticated edge.
- Stuart David: Stuart David is a California-based furniture manufacturer that produces solid wood furniture. Their designs often lean towards traditional styles with a focus on functional pieces.
- Benchmade Modern: Benchmade Modern specializes in customizable sofas and furniture, often with a modern and contemporary design approach.
- Amana Furniture: Amana Furniture is known for crafting handcrafted furniture in Iowa, USA. Their pieces often reflect a traditional and timeless aesthetic, featuring solid wood and meticulous craftsmanship.
There you have it – everything you need to know on finding real wood furniture made in the USA.
It’s not just about furnishing your home; it’s about curating a space that reflects you. Whether you find your furniture from a barn sale, online, or salvage it from the side of the road, each piece adds to the story of your home.
Embrace the natural touch of wood, choose a high-quality piece that will become part of your family history, admire the craftsmanship, and let your space radiate with timeless design.
I know your dreaming about diving into the world of DIY, so let me provide you with a nudge of inspiration. It’s time to bring your vision to life, one project at a time. Trust me, within you lies the strength and vision to create a house that feels like home.
Take that first step, unleash your creativity, and fearlessly embark on this transformative journey. Let your soul shine with every brushstroke, hammer swing, and design decision. Don’t worry about perfection; we’re all about progress here.
Believe in your abilities, trust your intuition, and remember that the most beautiful homes are built by those who take imperfect action. You’re now part of the sisterhood. We work together, inspiring and uplifting one another. We’ll overcome challenges and celebrate successes. Together truly is better, and I’m so grateful to have you by my side.