The Best Budget Paint Sprayer for DIY Home Projects
You’re thinking about buying a paint sprayer, but you’re not sure if it’s worth the investment. Even with the best budget paint sprayer costing around $100 you’re still unsure if you really need it.
You’ve seen others use it and, it looks fun. But you feel like you have no clue how to use a paint sprayer, and you’ll make more of a mess than anything else.
Listen, I’ve been there. Watching all those DIYers use a paint sprayer for their paint job and thinking how cool it looked. And how much faster it seemed to make the painting project go.
But I was worried because I’ve never even held one of these things, let alone paint something with one. I was worried I’d just screw up my project. And is this one of those things where I use it once or twice and never touch it again?
None of these worries came true (isn’t that how it usually goes). Taking the leap and getting a paint sprayer turned out to be a really great investment.
With a little guidance and practice (I mean a little), a paint sprayer is a game-changer for your diy projects. Get ready to say goodbye to tedious brushwork and hello to faster and more efficient painting projects.
Here’s the best paint sprayer and what ya need to know for the best results.
Just a friendly reminder: I’m a DIY enthusiast, not a pro. I’m sharing my experiences with you here, but this information is no substitute for consulting a professional.
And about those affiliate links, all opinions and recommendations are genuinely mine, but I have to tell you that I earn a small commission when you purchase using my link.
Thank you, because this helps financially support this blog!
The HomeRight Super Finish Max HVLP Paint Sprayer
Looking for a good paint sprayer that is also a budget-friendly paint sprayer that gets the job done without breaking the bank? The HomeRight Super Finish Max HVLP Paint Sprayer is the best choice! It’s a popular choice among DIYers for its versatility, ease of use, and impressive performance.
Let’s dive into why this sprayer is a great option for your painting projects.
That’s the name of the game with the HomeRight Super Finish Max HVLP Paint Sprayer. Whether you’re tackling furniture, cabinets, walls, or even outdoor surfaces, this sprayer can handle it all. With adjustable settings and nozzle options, you have control over the flow, spray pattern, and thickness, allowing you to achieve different finishes and textures.
HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) Technology
Using a HVLP sprayer (High Volume Low Pressure), the Super Finish Max ensures efficient paint transfer and reduces overspray. Although, I will say, this sprayer still has a lot of overspray, so keep reading for my tips on how to use this thing indoors.
Easy To Use
You don’t have to be a pro to use this sprayer. HomeRight designed the Super Finish Max with ease of use in mind. It’s lightweight and comfortable to hold and maneuver. Plus, the setup and cleaning process are a breeze especially if you get this cleaning tool.
With the pressure control dial, you can customize the flow rate to fit the size and detail of your project. The sprayer comes with three brass spray tips that cover your bases for 99% of the projects you’ll do with this sprayer. I’ve had mine for over three years and have not needed to invest in any additional tips. From thin stains to thick paints, the Super Finish Max has got you covered.
Excellent Finish Quality
Achieving a smooth and professional finish is a cinch with this sprayer. With a bit of practice, you’ll produce even and consistent coverage. And without your effort, this sprayer’s coverage is far greater than anything you can do on your own.
The best part? The HomeRight Super Finish Max is budget-friendly. You don’t have to spend a fortune to get a reliable and versatile paint sprayer. It delivers performance and value without emptying your wallet. I paid about $100 for mine, but if you’re more patient than I am, it goes on sale, and I’ve seen it for as low as $76!
The Best Types of Projects for Your HomeRight Paint Sprayer
The HomeRight paint sprayer is a versatile tool that can handle just about any painting jobs around your house. Here are some of the best types of projects for your HomeRight paint sprayer:
1. Furniture Makeovers: Give your old furniture a fresh new look. Whether it’s a dresser, table, or chair, the sprayer allows you to quickly and evenly apply paint or stains much faster than you could ever do by hand. It also gets into those hard-to-reach spots and covers areas like spindles way better than a paintbrush can.
2. Cabinet Refresh: If you’re painting your kitchen cabinets, then do it right and use a sprayer. You’ll have far better coverage and a smoother finish without the hassle of brush marks.
3. Interior Walls: Painting walls can be time-consuming, but a sprayer can make it much faster and easier. Especially if you’re painting shiplap or textured wall. Whether painting a single room or an entire house, the sprayer helps you achieve even coverage and a flawless finish in less time than traditional brushes or rollers. Just seal off and cover anything you do not want paint on because the overspray is real.
4. Trim and Molding: The HomeRight paint sprayer’s adjustable flow control allows you to spray paint precisely on narrow and intricate surfaces, making it ideal for updating baseboards, crown molding, and door frames.
5. Outdoor Projects: Use your sprayer to paint fences, decks, or outdoor furniture for a fresh and vibrant look. And best of all, there is so much less prep when working outdoors! Using the sprayer outdoors is a no-brainer.
6. Craft Projects: Whether painting wooden signs, customizing picture frames, or adding a personal touch to home decor items, the sprayer is super handy for these small projects. It allows for precise and controlled paint application, helping you bring your craft ideas to life.
Larger Projects with a HomeRight Paint Sprayer
There are very few downsides to the HomeRight sprayer. You’ll need a few added steps and supplies to use this thing, especially for large projects. But it’s all about balancing a budget with efficiency, right? I find these downsides are a fair trade off.
One downside of the HomeRight paint sprayer is it requires frequent refills when working on larger areas. Yeah, it can be a hassle having to stop and fill up the paint container more often. But considering how affordable this tool is, it’s worth the extra time.
Sure, completing your project might take a bit longer because of the refills, but think about the money you’re saving.
Higher-end sprayers that professional painters use work a little differently. They have several feet of hose that dip into gallons of paint and cost a pretty penny. For a DIY enthusiast on a budget, the HomeRight sprayer is a practical choice.
My trick is to have a few extra containers on hand to minimize the refilling interruptions. That way, you can twist a new one on and get right back to work.
Also, additional containers are handy so that if you don’t use all the paint up, you can leave it in there next time. So, I have one with primer, one with white (I paint almost everything white), and another with black. This method cuts down on the amount of washing I have to do, saving a ton of time.
Psst This Thing is Not Cordless
When using the HomeRight paint sprayer, it’s important to consider that it operates on electricity. And the cord that this thing comes with is stupidly short. Therefore, you need an extension cord to ensure an adequate power supply.
Get a high-quality extension cord rated for outdoor or heavy-duty use and one that is double the length you think you need. Trust me; you can always have a longer power cord.
The Prep Work for Painting Indoors with a Paint Sprayer
Before you dive into painting with your sprayer, take time to protect the areas around your project. Don’t rush this step! Or you’ll regret it later. Here’s how to keep everything safe:
Cover it up
Grab some plastic sheets, drop cloths, or even old bedsheets (I get mine at Goodwill for $1) to cover anything you don’t want to get painted. Lay them down on the floor, drape them over furniture, and secure them with some tape or weights.
But don’t just cover it up. You gotta tape it down! The sprayer is powerful, and the paint comes out at a high pressure which will blow your covers off if you don’t secure them.
Don’t forget the fixtures
Remove or cover any fixtures or hardware that could accidentally end up with a fresh coat of paint or, even worse, paint splatter. Unscrew doorknobs, light switches, or outlet covers if possible. If you can’t remove them, use some tape or plastic bags to cover them up and keep them clean.
Set up a work zone
I like to set up a specific area as my painting zone. I put down an old bathmat to create a contained space. This mat is where I keep all my paint supplies, including the paint can, so I don’t have to worry about accidental drips or spills. It also makes it super easy to move all your supplies around. Gently pull on the side of the mat, and it’ll move with you.
Do You Have to Thin Paint with This Paint Sprayer?
I’ve thinned my paint once. And that was because it was thick paint and it was pretty old paint. Otherwise, the nice thing is this sprayer can handle various types of paints and coatings without the hassle of thinning.
If you come across a situation where thinning the paint can improve the spraying performance. Here’s what you need to know:
If your paint is too thick, it can cause clogs or an uneven spray pattern. In such cases, thinning the paint can help it flow smoothly through the sprayer. You want the paint to have a consistency that allows it to spray evenly without any issues.
Before starting your actual project, practice on scrap materials. Doing this every time gives you a sense of how well the paint is spraying and if thinning is necessary.
How to thin paint for a paint sprayer
If you decide to thin the paint, use water for latex paints, and mineral spirits or paint thinner are suitable for oil-based paints. Mix very small amounts until you achieve the desired consistency.
Remember, it’s important not to over-thin the paint because it affects the color, ability to stick to your surface, and long-term durability. That’s why when I say add small amounts, I mean small!
You can always add more but you can’t take it away once it’s mixed. Also, different paints may require different thinning ratios, so be sure to follow the specific instructions provided by the paint manufacturer.
How to Use a Paint Sprayer: Tips and Tricks
Ready to tackle your paint spraying project like a pro? Here are some handy tips and tricks to get you started:
1. Safety First: At the very least, wear a mask. Proper ventilation is essential, so work in a well-ventilated area and use a respirator that actually blocks paint particles. Believe me; you do not want paint in your lungs.
3. Find the Right Spray Pattern: This sprayer has two different spray patterns, horizontal and vertical. Play around with these settings to see what feels best to you. Vertical works best for me, but there is no right or wrong here!
4. Overlap for Perfection: To avoid any missed spots, overlap your spray strokes by about 50%. This technique delivers consistent coverage and prevents patchiness.
5. Clean Up Afterward: You have to clean your paint sprayer thoroughly after paint projects. No matter how tired you are, do not skip cleaning your sprayer because it clog the spray nozzle for good! Use this handy (and inexpensive) add-on for faster and more efficient cleanings.
6. Take It One Section at a Time: Don’t overwhelm yourself by trying to tackle the entire project at once. Divide it into manageable sections and work on one area at a time.
7. Thin Coats Are the Way to Go: Instead of applying a heavy coat, do multiple thin coats. You have to keep in mind that the sprayer’s coat of paint is way thicker than what we can produce by hand. So much paint comes out of this thing, and it happens quickly! Thinner coats help to prevent drips. Drips are bad! If you’re getting drips, then use the adjustable pressure control to decrease the amount of paint that spits out. Oh, and allow each coat to dry before applying the next.
8. Don’t Forget to Adjust Your Tip Size: It’s a good choice to switch your tip based on the project and desired paint flow. There are ones for larger work like a wall and another for more detailed work like furniture.
9. Practice Makes Perfect: If you’re new to using a paint sprayer, take some time to practice outside and on some material scraps. Maybe even start with smaller projects to build your confidence. Get a feel for the sprayer’s settings and experiment with different techniques before moving on to your actual project.
10. Keep Paint Rollers and Brushes Handy: Like any other tool, the sprayer is not perfect. And neither are you or I. But if you want a flawless, smooth finish, keep a brush or roller handy. This is the trick to a perfect finish every time.
11. Keep a Steady Hand: Keep a consistent distance between the sprayer and the surface, usually around 6 to 10 inches. Move your hand at a steady (slower than you think) pace for an even application.
Don’t waste your time and get caught up analyzing all the different types of paint sprayers. This is the best budget paint sprayer, under $100, for home projects, and now you know why! My only word of caution is that this thing is addicting so don’t be surprised if you find yourself searching for reasons to use it 🙂
I know your dreaming about diving into the world of DIY, so let me provide you with a nudge of inspiration. It’s time to bring your vision to life, one project at a time. Trust me, within you lies the strength and vision to create a house that feels like home.
Take that first step, unleash your creativity, and fearlessly embark on this transformative journey. Let your soul shine with every brushstroke, hammer swing, and design decision. Don’t worry about perfection; we’re all about progress here.
Believe in your abilities, trust your intuition, and remember that the most beautiful homes are built by those who take imperfect action. You’re now part of the sisterhood. We work together, inspiring and uplifting one another. We’ll overcome challenges and celebrate successes. Together truly is better, and I’m so grateful to have you by my side.